Tuesday, April 1, 2008

fill in the ____blank?

Where to do.

By Ted Berrigan

Here I am at a place nowhere to be found coming, going, nowhere in this frame

The air is moving, subtle, still. I move, I stop

on the way to the nowhere that’s nowhere found I’m trapped in the streetscape

I drink some Dunkin Donuts small caramel latte with fifteen sugar which warms

and compels to have further and to bring back the memories

In. The streets look for me, or me. I cannot find

myself. On the street of oak street, where am I. it’s

getting to quick, it’s already to quick. Lean on me. I pressure my way

through it, them, as

the crowd larger, the latte sipped on morning now

4 years almost ago, and the man, no, the teenager

running fast, running, far to get ahead, & telling

Who would have though that I’d be here. nothing

Found, nothing there, but everything. everything

standing there, there to be claimed, to be breathed into one’s own mind,

to honor kin.

Up in the spirits, fate, and loss. Now

more than ever before?

Not that I follow roads piercing the horizon, but in the very sugar coat

eyes penetrating through solid into the blue

& eyes piercing in a field. Not that apprentice, eighteen. who was

going to have to go. Careening into mazes so.

To step forward. & to take steps back as to imagine

so to go. Not that I who from very first meeting

I would never & never question myself

Into the deep of where & so demanded

To take ideas & who will never leave me, not for money, nor family,

nor even for the destination met which is

only our human lot & means all but nothing to others. No, not power downs

There’s a song, “sweetest girl”. But no, I won’t do that

I am young. When will I die? I will never die. I will live

To be undefined, & I will never go away, & you will never escape from me

who am always & only a superman, despite this small frame. Spirit

Who lives only become bigger.

I’m only a boy, & I am in charge, & I didn’t reach the fine lines

that define who I am.

I came into your life to guide you on the right fork

but that lies undetermined

determined on your own

Toughness & persistent. A future’s fate. Nevertheless

I hope for stars

The worlds the aim and you are the rifle.

No comments: